PCL recovery

Hopefully when this shapes up into something, it will help other people going through a similar surgery... not much out there on PCL's, and I think there should be.

Monday, December 20, 2010

Much better mood

Tomorrow will be 4 weeks post op, and I'm feeling pretty good. PT got more interesting because I got to do more exercises, I added leg extensions and leg raises while on my stomach so that my leg is going back. Swelling is also not too bad, there is only a 2 cm difference between my 2 knee caps. My scars are also not looking too bad.
Medial view of my leg
The front of my knee

He measured my flexion today and it went to 110. I did 105 myself and he pushed it to 110. He said he could have gone further, but he measured me after he did all the bending and I was already in pain from that, so he was nice for the ruler. But he said I was already ahead of the game, he would have been very happy if I even got to 90, so it was really nice to go further. I also rode the bike for a full 10 minutes, which was great. He did tell me to stop when I needed to, but I just pushed through it and did it. I told my PT that I don't believe in doing things half way, if I'm going to rehab, I'm going to do it all out.

The other really annoying thing is the scars itch like crazy. I know it's a good sign because it means the nerves are regenerating, but oy vey, it's so itchy, I can hardly stand it. I'm constantly putting creams onto the scars to try to quell the itching. Something else big happened today, I started back at the hospital to finish off the last half of my 4th year. I am on radiology now, which is great for a post op patient. It's basically sitting in a room staring at a computer screen for a few hours and then leaving for the day. Very easy rotation schedule wise. It does feel nice to get back into the swing of things, getting back to a sense of normalcy, even though it is a very easy rotation. The problem is that I don't have enough work pants that fit over the brace. I think I have about 3 pairs of pants that are wide legged enough to fit over the brace, I may have to borrow some pants from my mom, but she's about 3 sizes bigger than I am, so I don't know how well that will work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment