PCL recovery

Hopefully when this shapes up into something, it will help other people going through a similar surgery... not much out there on PCL's, and I think there should be.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Crutches+blizzard=bad time

We had a blizzard recently, and anyone following what's going on in NY would know that the response has been pitiful. On Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, I was stuck at home with nowhere to go. Yesterday, I had to go to an interview in NJ, so my dad drove me since he works in NJ anyway. Well, the thing is, when we left Wed. morning, our street still hadn't been plowed, and my dad had to park his car on the main street about half a block away that was plowed. In the morning, my dad was unable to come down our street, so I had to somehow make it down the half a block of snow covered sidewalks. People had just dug out trenches, probably about 8 inches wide, barely wide enough for a person to walk through, let alone someone with crutches. Walking in the street was impossible because of the drifts of snow on the sidewalk that prevented me from getting into the street. It took me about 15 minutes to make it to the main street, my crutches kept sinking into snow, the sidewalks were icy and slippery, definitely not easy. I do not recommend anyone on crutches to go out on unplowed streets, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

On the plus side, the interview was great. The hospital regularly uses massage therapists and holistic medicine when treating the patients, and when the massage therapists are on the floor, they treat the residents at the nursing station as well. So that's definitely an advantage :) The program director and everyone else involved were really supportive. My first interviewer had his ACL reconstructed recently, so we shared painful PT stories the entire time. On my way back from the interview, my dad ended up just dropping me off at my sister's place because I had PT today, and it was much easier to get a car service from her. Her street was cleaned and I could go right outside and get in the car by the parking lot entrance, whereas if the car service tried to get to my block, they would get stuck, and i didn't want to walk all the way through 2 feet of snow to the main street. So an impromptu girls night, and a very expensive PT visit this morning. Taking our cars would have been impossible, even if we dug out, reparking the cars would be impossible.

When I got to PT, my regular guy was on vacation, so I went to the other girl. She's really sweet, very funny. I was in a silly mood today, and she was apparently hungry, which means she laughs at everything. I told her that I was in quite a bit of pain from going through the snow yesterday, I was sore and felt beat up, so she went easy on me. I definitely appreciated that, because I was hurting.  So I didn't do as much at PT as I normally do, but it's ok. My regular PT will be back on Monday, and I'm sure he'll be back to beating me up then.

1 comment: