PCL recovery

Hopefully when this shapes up into something, it will help other people going through a similar surgery... not much out there on PCL's, and I think there should be.

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Kindness of strangers

Since being on crutches, I have become amazed at how kind people are when they see someone on crutches. People hold doors open for me, and they wait until I get there, even though I'm a ways away. They see me coming and wait for me to get there holding the door. If I'm trying to open a door to an office or what have you, people have gotten out of their seats to open the doors for me. On interviews, other applicants have offered to carry my coat and bag for me, which has been great. Living in the city, you kind of assume that people are generally out for themselves and don't take time to help others, but being on crutches, you really see the other side of people. Maybe it's because they just feel sorry for me, and if I had 2 good legs, they would let the door slam in my face, but it's been really good.

The annoying part though is that everyone wants to know what happened. They think that just because I can't move as fast, they have every right to question my entire medical history. At first, I said "I tore my PCL and had surgery to reconstruct it". Then, people ask "What's a PCL?" And then I have to explain the whole thing, and I quite frankly got tired of that. So now, I just tell people that "I had to have knee surgery". Usually, that's all they want to hear, if they ask further, I tell them I had an accident and tore one of the ligaments in my knee. What gets tiresome is when they tell me that they/their friend/mom/dad/grandpa/sister/brother/2nd cousin twice removed had a knee operation and were walking 2 days later, so why am I still on crutches? Gee, could it be that using crutches are just so much fun that I figured I would hold onto them for 6 weeks?

No comments:

Post a Comment