PCL recovery

Hopefully when this shapes up into something, it will help other people going through a similar surgery... not much out there on PCL's, and I think there should be.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Day 13-first day of PT

I just came back from my first PT session today, and so far so good. Although I think I'm the youngest person there by far, everyone else seems to be of the geriatric age group. The therapist told me that it's better to schedule my appointments in the later afternoon because most of the patients prefer to go in the morning since they have nothing else to do.

Anyway, he explained to me that the beginning will be quite dull and there isn't much that I will be able to do. He looked at my knee flexion, bending it passively only, and I already got about 85 degrees, and a little bit further and better extension after he put some heat on my knee. The 85 degrees hurt a lot though, but he said that for being not even 2 weeks out, it's actually really good. I also did some leg raises, and I felt like such a wimp doing them, I could barely manage it, but I got it. I'm not yet allowed to do them at home though, unless I want to try it with the extra weight the brace adds. I am also apparently very flexible, or he just got used to working with older people. He lifted my leg to stretch the hamstrings, and as he was stretching it, I was getting uncomfortable because of pain in the knee, but not in the hamstrings.He kept going and said none of his patients can get that muhc stretch, and I still didn't even feel it in the hamstrings. Of course, he didn't know that I used to be able to lie on my back and bring my legs into an almost full split, and I used to stretch every night, but haven't since the surgery.

After that, he did some stimulation and I was done. Not really a whole heck of a lot that I can do for a couple weeks, and then things should start to get more interesting. But I'm encouraged, looking forward to going back. I'll be going twice a week for now, and so I'm going on Wed because that's when he has his evening hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment