PCL recovery

Hopefully when this shapes up into something, it will help other people going through a similar surgery... not much out there on PCL's, and I think there should be.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

2nd PT session

I had my second PT session today. It went pretty well. I did a whole bunch of leg raises, I don't even know how many. He won't let me do them on my own though, he keeps his hand under my heel for support as I shakily lift my leg into the air. I never thought my leg gwould be that heavy. But I managed. My leg is also flatter on the table, which is good. And then he bent it, oh geez. The bending, he had me near tears. I needed reminders to breathe because it hurt so bad. But he did bend it to about 110-120 degrees. I never felt pain that bad before in my life. And he did quite a few passive knee bends, ending each set with a hold of the bend. Other stuff I did was kind of boring, quad sets and ankle pump type things. He did say that next week, he's going to try me on the bike with zero resistance to work on ROM.

After PT, we got dinner at my favorite Italian restaurant, which is conveniently located a few blocks away. By the time I got home though, my knee was throbbing. I was warned that I would be sore, but it feels good oddly. Even though I'm having some pain now, it feels good, like I'm making progress. It's not the type of pain where you don't want to move, it's like the pain you have after a good workout. I've also got some pain in my shoulders, likely from using the crutches for the last 2 weeks, maybe I can indulge myself in a massage this weekend.

I have 2 more weeks with the brace locked at 0, and 2 more weeks of completely non weight bearing. But he does think that once the brace is unlocked, I should be able to drive since I would have a good amount of ROM. I'm apparently already ahead of where he was expecting me to be as far as knee bend and extension.

2 comments:

  1. I always called that "the good hurt."

    You sound like you're doing great! The bike is good but frustrating...the first time you get it all the way around is the best feeling though. And then the first time you can go fast enough to actually turn it on is the 2nd best feeling. ha!

    Keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was your surgery date Nov. 27? So you're just over 3 weeks out?

    ReplyDelete