PCL recovery

Hopefully when this shapes up into something, it will help other people going through a similar surgery... not much out there on PCL's, and I think there should be.

Friday, February 4, 2011

One day....

One of these days, my knee will be normal again. Until then, I have those moments where I briefly forget I had surgery, and then I out of habit will try to curl my legs under me when I'm sitting on the couch, and end up with a lot of hurt. I must remember not to do this.

My PT told me that I will start trying to find my hamstrings on Monday. I tried to use them today, just to see what would happen. The answer? Not much. I was standing, and just tried to bend my leg. Didn't exactly work, my leg just didn't go anywhere. I think I listened a little too well when my doctor told me not to use my hamstrings, because now, they just don't exist anymore. I had some measurements done at PT the other day, and there is less than a centimeter difference between my knees, but I do have a weird lump over the lateral incision of my knee. It's not painful, just lumpy. My thighs, there is still a couple cm difference, but it's likely more from hamstring atrophy than the quads. My quads are getting stronger and stronger though. I am up to 20 pounds on the knee extensions, and 5 lbs when I do leg raises, probably go up to 6 or 7 pounds on Monday. I'm walking at a speed of 2.8 on the treadmill for 10 minutes, and I ride the bike at a resistance of 6 or 7 for 10 minutes as well. I don't feel unstable when I walk, which is awesome. Before the surgery, I would feel like my knee was slipping everytime I took a step, and it would give out on me constantly. Now, I don't have that sensation, so it definitely feels more secure. I still can't go and walk a marathon, it still is not second nature to walk and I feel it, but it's not painful, more of uncomfortable.

My boyfriend thinks that when I go to PT, it's more of a gossip session than a therapy session. I'm one of the youngest patients they have, the therapists are not that much older than me, and the aides are around my age, so I have a lot of fun when I go there. The people that work in the office are I guess on the younger side, my therapist is probably in his early-mid 30s, the other therapist is 31, and I'm 25, so I'm not that much younger than they are. But I guess it's good if you like the place you're getting your PT from, sure we gossip, but I can gossip and ride the bike at the same time! Multitasking!

And now, with Superbowl Sunday coming upon us, I am not sure who I'm rooting for. I somehow got suckered in to entering a Superbowl bet at my physical therapy office, I had to buy in for $10, and the winner is determined by the score, it's some weird system and I'm not exactly sure how it works, all I know is I bought a square, and someone will tell me if I win. Come Monday, I might be $500 richer :) Course, if I did win, all that money would go right back to them because I'm paying $15 per session as my copay, but still, it would be nice to win something.

No comments:

Post a Comment