PCL recovery

Hopefully when this shapes up into something, it will help other people going through a similar surgery... not much out there on PCL's, and I think there should be.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

My hammies exist!

Yesterday was an exciting day in PT. I graduated to being able to use the hamstring machine! It was very excited, even though it was rather uncomfortable. My problem is that because I have so much atrophy in my operated leg, it's hard to evenly distribute the weight between my 2 legs, so I ended up upping the weight so that I am near the max that my good leg can do on its own and then my right leg was forced to pick up the slack. Not sure if I'm explaining that very well or not though... But boy was I sore when I left. Still, it's fun to keep going in the right direction.

I asked my PT about how much longer he thinks my OS will make me keep going. He said that from his standpoint, the only reason for me to come to PT is for strength training, my flexibility is really good, and my ROM is good too. I see my surgeon in a couple weeks, so hopefully he can give me some insight on how much longer I need to keep going to therapy for. My therapist thinks there is a good chance I will be cleared to run when I see the surgeon in a couple weeks, fingers crossed that will actually happen.

I also just started an emergency medicine rotation, and I am actually pleasantly surprised with how well it's holding up. Sure, it's sore, and I do get some swelling by the end of the day, especially when I go to PT after the hospital, but it's pretty manageable. And it feels strong, which is what I'm most excited about. It feels stable. I'm on my feet all day, running all over, and I don't feel any giving out or instability. It's always a shock when I get home and realize that my knee didn't give out all day. I still don't think I'm used to it, but that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment