PCL recovery

Hopefully when this shapes up into something, it will help other people going through a similar surgery... not much out there on PCL's, and I think there should be.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

My therapists are trying to kill me!

I was starting to like my physical therapists, I really was. And then they tried to kill me today. They added all new exercises to my repetoire, and I ended up so sore afterwards, I swear, they do it on purpose. Instead of doing step ups, they now had me doing this move where I stand with my operated leg on a step, and then keeping my other leg straight, I bend my knee to bring that leg to the floor. Ouchie momma. And I was using the small little step too, not the regular sized steps. And after that, squats, but I was told to squat lower than before. And then lunges, oy vey the lunges. I'll admit, I have a little phobia of lunges, I was doing a lunge on the ice once, hit a rut, and ended up with a nasty concussion. Granted, these lunges were not as deep as the skating lunges, and I'm in a more controlled setting, but still, there is always a little hesitation before going into a lunge.

I apparently bend like this dude.
And the table work? Nope, not satisfied with my old stuff, he added weights to the hamcurls (1 pound, but still!) and made me do bridges, and increased the weight on the leg raises. I was doing 5 pounds, and this time, he bumped me up to 7.5 pounds. I don't know how my leg managed to stay on after all that. And then came the stretching. The other therapist, the one who is normally nice, she came to stretch me because the one who normally stretches me was busy with another patient. She wasn't aware just how flexible I really am. So she was trying to stretch my hamstrings, and put my leg on her shoulder, which I guess for most patients, is enough, but I couldn't even feel it. So then she gives me a "look" and goes further and further. When she had my leg past a 90 degree angle, and I still wasn't feeling a stretch, she says to me "I think you must be the most flexible patient we have. How is it that he always manages to hurt you? You're so flexible, you're like Gumby. I can't do anything to hurt you". Apparently, my lack of screaming in pain from stretching made me uninteresting. The novelty of being her only PCL reconstruction patient has worn off, and that no longer makes me interesting. I used to be interesting just because of my surgery. But not anymore. And I'm too apparently too flexible to make the stretching interesting. So it appears that I am now useless.

Give me a month, and I will look like that.
As for other exciting stuff? I start a new rotation on Monday, Emergency Medicine. Hopefully it will go well and my knee will hold up well. And I also signed up for a beginner belly dance class, starting at the end of March. Should be low impact, but looks like tons of fun. And hopefully, it will help me get back into shape. It's a bit of a different workout, but I can't wait for it to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment