PCL recovery

Hopefully when this shapes up into something, it will help other people going through a similar surgery... not much out there on PCL's, and I think there should be.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Shout it from the rooftops!!!

I am back from my follow up visit with the surgeon, I am now 6 weeks + 1 day post op. I think I must have been the happiest person in the office today. Why is that? Because he told me I can get rid of the crutches! And in 2 weeks, I can get rid of robobrace!!!! And after that, no more braces, no more crutches, I can walk like a normal person, wear normal pants again! I asked him if I would need a smaller brace, and he told me that since there is no good brace for the PCL, there is no point in wearing a brace that won't protect the graft. And I can drive again!!! I can't even tell you how excited I am. I made him repeat it 3 times just to be sure I got it. This was the conversation with my doctor:
Me: So I can get rid of the crutches?
Doc: Yep, use them only if you feel you need them.
Me: And I can drive again?
Doc: Yep, as soon as you're comfortable. And you can take the brace off if you need to.
Me: And in  2 weeks, I can get rid of the huge brace and just walk normally?
Doc: Yep, I usually get rid of the brace 8 weeks after PCL repair. If it was the ACL, you would already be out of the brace. And when you come back in 2 months, we'll see about getting you running and other fun stuff again.
Me: So you mean to tell me that after 6 weeks on crutches, 6 weeks of relying on other people to drive me, and 6 weeks of wearing baggy pants, I can lose the crutches today, take my car out of the driveway today, and in 2 weeks, look like a normal person again?
Doc: Yep, exactly right.
Me; And you're not playing some sick joke on me? You're not going to turn around and yell "Psych!" You have to be non weight bearing another 6 weeks and subject me to a lifetime of unfashionable pants?
Doc: Nope, you're doing good.

I really didn't believe him, but I was so happy, I could have kissed him. Especially because the brace will be off in time for my cruise. I leave on Jan 22, the brace can come off around Jan 18 or so. He did tell me though that if I will be doing a lot of walking, I might want to wear the brace and take the crutches just in case. He recommended that I wear the brace and take the crutches to get through the airport and onto the ship because it's a lot of walking, and he thinks it might be too much too soon after taking the brace off. But I'm ok with that, because while I'm on the cruise, I should be ok. Still can't wear heels on the cruise, so I'll be taking only flats, but I can wear shorts and skirts and not get crazy tan lines.

Something about a dancing dog and a smiling big faced kid sums up how happy I am right now.
Kinda funny though, he walked into the room and didn't realize I was post op PCL, he hadn't looked at the chart yet, but I had taken the brace off and put it in hte chair, with the crutches nearby, and he goes to me "Did we do a meniscus repair?" and I said "No, PCL". And then he goes "Oh that's right, we're making you go slow with that. If you were post op ACL, the crutches and big brace would be gone by now, but you're extra special."

I am still continuing with PT for now, and go back in 2 months for another follow up with the surgeon. And then after that, he said chances are I won't need to go back anymore. He said that I"m ahead of the curve when it comes to the rehab, he said most people are still pretty stiff and don't have as much flexion as I do, but I have good range of motion, and a smooth motion with the knee, which is apparently uncommon 6 weeks post op. I guess I got lucky with a good surgeon, and as much as I complain about him, I do have an amazing therapist.

No comments:

Post a Comment