PCL recovery

Hopefully when this shapes up into something, it will help other people going through a similar surgery... not much out there on PCL's, and I think there should be.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Leaving on a cruise ship

Tomorrow, I leave for a wonderful week long cruise. My bags are mostly packed, boarding passes printed out, passports found. But of course, before I go, I had a PT session today. I think I had a break through today. I somehow reached full flexion. I'm not quite sure how that happened. It wasn't comfortable, and I couldn't hold it there, my foot would slide out, but he sat on my foot and kept it at full flexion. The thing is, I don't think I was all that excited about it, I was much more excited when I got around on the bike or when I took the brace off. Now, it was just like, oh, cool, I got full flexion.

My therapist had his student with him again today, and I was telling her how I know that I must have made some progress, because when I first went on the bike, I could hardly make it around, and I was going very slowly. I had to rock back and forth before I could get my knee around, and my therapist had to help me push it around. Now, I can just hop on the bike like it's nothing. I don't know why, but every time I go on the bike, it amazes me how just a few short weeks ago, it seemed impossible, and it seemed like this whole rehab business would never end. It seemed like I would be stuck doing the same exercises, staying at the same place for months and months. Instead, 2 months on, I can fully bend my knee after being warmed up, I can hop on the bike like it's no big deal, I can walk on the treadmill at a brisk pace, I can use the quad machines, started doing wall squats.

My plan for the cruise is to do as many of the exercises that I can do as possible. I'm going to aim for every day, but I can't guarantee that will happen. He did tell me to try to swim because that will be a great exercise for my knee, and I can do a lot of my exercises under water which will help build up the strength, but not put as much pressure on the knee. Lucky for me, the ship I'm on has some special pool in the spa that is supposed to promote healing, it's got minerals and jets in it or something. So I plan to do what I can in there. Hopefully I won't fall too far behind on my rehab.
My home for the next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment